Toulouse is the fourth French city to join the Global Destination Sustainability Index (GDS-Index). The city now forms part of the global destination sustainability movement, that seeks to engage, inspire and enable urban centres to become more regenerative places to visit, meet and thrive in.
The GDS-Index is delighted to announce that Toulouse has joined its global performance improvement programme. As such, the city has dedicated itself to:
- Benchmark the sustainability of Toulouse, and its meeting and events industry
- Improve the sustainability strategy of their Convention Bureau and Destination Management Organizations
- Increase the awareness of, and integrate, the 17 Sustainable Development Goals into their events and visitor economy
- Inspire clients to prize destinations with solid event sustainability initiatives
- Share their responsible business initiatives and regenerative practices with their clients, peers, and the world
Toulouse CVB wishes to use the GDS-Index to map and recognise the many actions of its business tourism partners in terms of sustainable development. The city’s prioritization of sustainability for business tourism is increasingly evident. The imminent opening of the new LEED certified MEETT Convention Centre in June 2020, demonstrates the commitment of the city’s partners to continually improve their sustainability policies. At the same time, it addresses the needs of local event organizers who are demanding eco-responsible solutions, for clients considering Toulouse as a host city for their Congresses and Conventions.
Guy Bigwood, Managing Director of the GDS-Index comments: “Toulouse has been taking great strides to become more sustainable, and we are delighted that they will be joining the GDS-Index community of 53 cities including Lyon, Bordeaux and Nantes. We are confident that their influence will encourage other French – and indeed – European urban destinations to collaborate on this journey that brings learning, development and progress to all”.
For more information please contact:
Managing Director of the Global Destination Sustainability Index
Promotions Manager, Convention Bureau Toulouse